|Nothing compares to the cleaning power of a good breeze.|
It isn’t difficult to rid your home of scented cleaning products. Simply choose the unscented version. For those products that don’t offer an unscented option, choose an alternative. Avoid any product with “fragrance” on the ingredient lists or labeled with undeniably artificial scents (think “spring rain” or “ocean breeze”).
- Avoid aerosols and sprays since they release smaller particles so are inhaled deeper into your lungs
- Avoid air fresheners altogether, including sprays, gels and plug-ins. The chemical load in these products is especially high.
- Choose products scented with essential oils (look for the EcoLogo certification to be sure that the scent isn’t artificially enhanced).
- Go back to basics with products. Use baking soda as an air freshener and vinegar as a cleaner.
- Open the window to disperse an odor or air out your house
Making the conscious choice to buy safer products is the key to staying healthy in your home.